Skip to content

Apply for a Passport

Students must have a passport in order to study, intern, or conduct research abroad.  If you do not already have a passport, apply now. If your passport will expire during or within six months from the end of your study abroad program, renew now. During the application process we will ask you for you passport information, including your passport number and a copy of the photo page of your passport. If you do not have a valid passport at the time of application, please tell the Manager of Education Abroad and International Fellowships immediately and apply for a new or renewed passport as quickly as possible, and submit the required information to your application as soon as you receive your new passport.

U.S. Citizens: Passport application forms can be found online at or at your local post office, though one particular post office in your area may be designated for processing. It is recommended that you apply at least three months in advance of your departure. If you will travel within 14 days and have not yet renewed or applied for your passport, you must make an appointment to do so in person at a regional passport agency. If you wait to renew your passport or get a new passport you may have to pay an additional fee to get it in time.

Non-U.S. Citizens: Any non-U.S. citizen leaving the United States needs to be in possession of a valid passport from his/her home country. Non-U.S. citizens must also check in with the ISSS office at Gallaudet prior to leaving for an abroad program outside the U.S. The ISSS staff will advise international students on how to remain in legal visa status during their semester abroad and how to re-enter the United States legally to complete their studies at Gallaudet. Please be sure to tell the Manager of Education Abroad and International Fellowships your country of origin to assure you will be given appropriate visa advice for your program.