Skip to content

Visas to go Abroad

Visa Services

Acquiring a Visa is 100% the responsibility of the student. Students MUST research their host country in advance and make sure there is an applicable visa that would allow them to stay in their host country for the time of their program or internship.

In some cases, when the program is fully Gallaudet managed and run, the Education Abroad office may assist with visas, but generally it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they have a visa for their program.

What Is a Visa?

A visa is an official document contained within your passport that a foreign government issues to you, allowing you to travel to, from, and within that particular country or region legally. Countries typically break visas down into types that reflect the purpose of your visit—tourism, studying, and working, among many others.

The requirements to obtain a visa depend on country, type, duration and nationality of the applicant. A country’s consular office should be able to provide you with a list of requirements based on these factors.

Being granted a visa is a privilege, not a right. A consular office may deny your visa application, so it is best to adhere to their requirements and apply as early as possible.

How Do I Apply for a Visa?

Obtaining a visa is your responsibility. It is important that you know what is required of you before attempting to enter a country. Failing to obtain a visa (or the correct visa) could result in a denial of entry into a country, and even criminal charges.

If you are enrolled in an Education Abroad program, you will receive more information from your program team or at orientation. After that, it is your responsibility to research and apply for a Visa. Keep in mind that your program may not require a Visa.

Each country has different visa application requirements. All visas require that you have a valid passport in order to apply for your visa. Because of this, it is crucial that you apply early for your passport. As part of your visa application, you may be required to gather the following materials: student verification, proof of your finances, letter of invitation from your host university/country, passport photos, travel information and itinerary, visa fee, and more. You may also be required to apply for your visa at an in-person appointment at the consular office.

You can find the most up-to-date visa information by contacting the consulate or embassy of your host country. US Citizens can also find current visa information at the US Department of State's Study Abroad—Visa. Additionally, should the process become too overwhelming, many visa-processing agencies exist to help research and submit visa applications. The Education Abroad office recommends Perry International to provide these services.

Visa Resources

These resources are helpful for checking basic entry requirements. Visa processing services are also listed.

NAFSA's Visas for EA
  • Country-specific student visa information for common study abroad destinations
US Department of State Travel
  • Entry requirements for US citizens; best for tourism as it does not give student visa information, but still provides a good snapshot.
CIBT, Visa HQ, Travisa
  • Visa processing services
  • Prices vary. Most allow for expedited service at an extra fee.
  • Student visa category is typically available only for US students.
  • These sites are very useful for quickly determining whether you are required to obtain a visa and whether an in-person appointment is required. This is especially useful when researching non-US student situations.
Perry Visa
  • Visa processing service; does give student visa requirements for many countries, however, information is not always readily available. You fill out a form and Perry Visa will email you the requirements usually within a few days.
Consulate-specific web pages
  • Always cross-check information from service providers with what is listed on the consulate’s website.
  • Each consulate location may have its own website and requirements may vary from location to location, so be sure to check the website for the consulate in the location representing the correct jurisdiction.