Skip to content

Emergency Information


Please contact the University about any situation that poses an immediate or potential risk to your safety, security, or health on a Gallaudet‑sponsored activity. Emergency situations include:
  • Serious accident or illness, including hospitalization.
  • Serious mental health issue.
  • Political crisis, including acts/threats of war/terrorism.
  • Disappearance or kidnapping.
  • Natural disasters.
  • Allegation of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
  • Victim of a violent crime or physical assault.
  • Arrest or questioning by local authorities, legal action or allegation that someone is the victim or perpetrator of a crime.
  • Disease outbreak, natural disaster (fire, flood).


  • Contact Department of Public Safety (DPS). Someone is on call 24/7.
  • ​Get immediate help.  Know the local equivalent of 911 so that you can get immediate emergency assistance. Gallaudet students should conduct research in advance to know whether the country laws are such that an interpreter would be provided at a hospital or police station. Remember to heed advice from on-site staff on the best manner to contact police and emergency services in your host country.
  • Notify your on-site contact. Reach out to the local contact person for your program, if you have one. The emergency contact numbers can be found in orientation materials that you receive. Also, contact your faculty adviser/sponsor AND the Manager of Education Abroad and International Fellowships.
    • During business hours (weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST), you can reach Education Abroad at +1(202) 651-5135 (voice) or (202) 609-8720 (videophone).  After hours, the office phones will not be answered.
  • Contact your insurance provider if the emergency is medical in nature.  
  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy. Personnel at U.S. embassies are available 24/7 to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens. Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates appears on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at Also note that the Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs may be reached at +1 (202) 501-4444. *Note: Remember to program all of these emergency numbers into your local cell phone.
  • Be prepared to provide as much of the following information as possible:
    • Your name.
    • Country and program of study.
    • Names of others in your group.
    • Date and time of occurrence/condition.
    • Description of occurrence/condition.
    • Action taken thus far.
    • Action requested of officer (if appropriate).
    • Return contact information.